CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Technology Tickets- Parenting Idea




I saw this neat idea online and wanted to share it with you all. The tickets and clipboard with pockets are a fancy project, but the concept sounded interesting.


My kids love TV, DVDs, video games - you name it. And there have been many times (probably too many) that I have been so grateful that they will sit and devour a show while I do something. BUT . . . . there has been some bickering lately. Too much bickering. When all else fails, and I feel like throwing my hands up in the air, I usually buckle down and dig down to my elementary school teaching roots. We come up with systems.

I read on Ashley Ann Photography blog about Wii tickets. At first it seemed like a lot of effort, but as the crying and stomping of feet increased, I went back to this. I just used plain old tags as tickets. I think a pack of 25 cost me $1. I stamped their names on them. They each get 10 and Tom and I get 5 labeled "reward." We can pass them out as rewards. Perhaps my favorite part of Ashley's idea was that chalkboard clipboard. I had chalkboard paint, and old clipboards . . . . so that was easy.

Here is our system. Each ticket represents 1/2 hour of technology. On Sundays after church, they receive 10 tickets. They give me a ticket, I set the timer. Tom and I reserve the right to say "no" even if they have a ticket, though. That's for when they bust out the ticket at 8:00 at night, or they have already used several tickets in a row. When they are out, they're out and no amount of crying will get them more tickets. I sure hope this works. I'm crossing my fingers. At least if it is another system that doesn't really meet our needs, it was a cute system!

This idea was found on:
http://themacdougallfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/technology-tickets.html





1 comment:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Thanks for the feature - I taught first grade for 5 years before I had kids and LOVE that age!